Pages

Friday, December 4, 2015

A Nostalgic Conversation; exceedingly short story


I dialed the number and held the phone to my ear, anticipating the voice.

Ring

Ring

Ring

Click

“Hello?”

She sounded just as I remembered, her voice soft yet confident. I could hear a child in the background, showing how long it has been.

“Hi Rosa, it’s me, Darlene.”

Silence

“Rosa?”

Sweat started to form upon my hands and face, it was too quiet. I yearned for her to say something.

“Darlene? As in childhood friend Darlene?

Her voice suddenly spoke, and I felt relief.

“Yes, yes! It’s me, your old buddy.”

I softly smiled as I remembered fond memories of us, we were like two peas in a pod, the best of friends. Then the tragic day came, and it ended just like that.

“Well this is surprising, how are you? It’s sure been a while.”

Almost 13 years I thought to myself.

“I’m doing well, how about you?”

She chuckled, but it sounded fake.

“That’s good, I’m doing alright, I have a 3 year old girl and a loving husband.”

I heard her sigh happily, and I felt joy for her. She finally got the family she wished for.

“Oh that’s wonderful!”

“Yeah it is.”

I felt the awkwardness, we weren’t as close, and it’s been so long. Neither of us knew what to say. 
The tension was felt as well, I wondered if she ever forgave me for what had happened between us.

“Rosa… do you still have something against me? For what I did all those years ago.”

I felt her hesitating, as if deciding whether lie or not.

“Well, it was a while ago, I’ve gotten over it.”

She sounded nervous, and I realized, that our great friendship was over, she still despised me. I could never gain her trust or friendship back. I pretended to believe her.

“Oh that’s good, I was a bit worried.”

She chuckled nervously.

“Yeah no worries, I don’t hold grudges.”

She seemed to forget we were best friends once, because I knew her. And Rosa does indeed hold grudges, and never forgets when someone betrays or hurts her.

“Glad to hear!”

“Yeah, well I’ve got to go, it was nice talking again Darlene.”

I felt like this was the last time I would hear from her, I wanted to say more, tell her how sorry I am, and beg for her friendship back. But we weren’t kids anymore. She’s grown up now and has new friends. A life. I’m just a forgotten childhood friend.

“You too Rosa, goodbye.”

She hung up after I said that, and I stared at the phone feeling pain in my chest, wishing I could have done something different. But I had to deal with it, deal with the fact that I’m just a memory to her, we are simply just strangers now, with distinct memories of each other.




No comments:

Post a Comment